The Walter Kassenbrock School
School Mission Statement
We will be good students, good friends and good people.
The PS 185 paid after school program provides a safe, fun, and nurturing environment for students from after school until 5:00 PM each day school is in session. The program does not operate on school holidays, half days, or weekends. This is a self-supporting program and we receive no funding from the DOE.
Students are supervised by PS 185 teachers and/or staff members. Time is allotted to complete homework and snack is provided. Physical activity is part of the after school program. It may include free play outside (weather permitting), structured games, or both.
An application is available on our website each month. Simply check off the days your child will attend and the time you will pick up, and return the completed application with payment (check payable to: PS 185).
A few things to keep in mind:
No same day drop ins (For emergeny situations, notify the Main Office at: 20K185@schools.nyc.gov or call 718-745-6610 to make arrangments)
The program is staffed based on the number of students that sign up. We cannot offer a refund/or credit for students that are absent.
Any questions, please contact the Main Office at: 20K185@schools.nyc.gov
The NYC DOE reset passwords over the summer. If you are having trouble accessing your @nycstudents.net account, there are a few different ways you can reset your DOE password:
1. Reset it yourself through the Student Self-Service tool. To use the Student Self-Service tool you must have created a PIN or set up security questions. If you have not done either, see option 2. Through this method, you can reset your own password once every 30 days.
2. You reset it through NYCSA. If you don't have a NYCSA account, contact Mrs. Maguire at firstname.lastname@example.org, she can provide you with a creation code to create your account.
PIN Set Up
By default, a PIN is not set for your account. There is NO UNIVERSAL PIN for your school. You must create a PIN yourself.
To create your PIN:
1. Sign in to the Student Self- Service tool with your DOE username and password.
2. Go to the left menu bar, and click on Pin Reset (this applies for creating a new PIN).
3. Enter a PIN.
4. Confirm your PIN by entering it again.
5. Click on Save Changes.
6. That's it. An email will be sent to your DOE account to confirm you created a PIN.
Please note that PINs are optional for your DOE account. However, if you do not create a PIN, you will not be able to use the self-service tool to reset your password. If you feel like it would be hard to remember your PIN, or you are the parent of a young student, we recommend resetting your password through NYCSA.
Like a PIN, security questions are, by default, not set up. You must set them up. To set up security questions:
1. Sign in to the Student Self-Service tool with your DOE username and Password
2. Go to the left menu bar, and click on Security Questions.
3. Select and answer three questions of your choosing. Make sure you choose answers that you will remember.
4. Enter your password.
5. Click on Save Changes.
6. That's it. An email will be sent to your DOE account to confirm you set up security questions.
2023 ANNUAL NYC SCHOOL SURVEY INFORMATION
Your child was sent home with a NYC SCHOOL SURVEY envelope.
This year you have the choice to complete the paper copy that you received OR you can complete it online using the link below
Your access code will be the lower case letter “f” followed by your child’s student ID number, which can be found on their report card or in your NYCSA. If you need their ID number, email or call the school. You are asked to complete a survey for EACH CHILD, not just one per family.
We are hoping for 100% parent participation this year.
This is your opportunity to provide feedback about our school to improve its learning environment and its ability to support student success. Your responses are completely anonymous.
The deadline to complete the survey this year is Friday March 31st. Please notify your teacher if you mail it yourself or do the survey online.
Your PTA will be providing Amazon Gift Cards to be raffled off to students whose parents submit a survey! We will also celebrate classes with 100% of their surveys returned!! Contact Mary Maguire if you have questions about the survey.
Thank you in advance for your input and participation!
We hope you “Strongly Agree” that PS 185 is the place to be!
PLEASE NOTE: If you are new to PS 185 (admitted after October 1, 2022) you will not receive a survey.
Parents can change the password for your child's @nycstudents.net by logging into your NYSCA account (www.mystudent.nyc). This is the account where you find your child's grade, attendance, and report cards. When you go to the Manage Account tab, under Menu there will be a tab STUDENT PASSWORD, you will click on that and it will bring you to the password reset page.
NYCDOE IT Service Desk: (718) 935-5100
For parent or guardian tech help - select option #2
Join our school REMIND app to receive notifications and announcements during the school year by texting
@ps185w to 81010
or by clicking the link below
STATEMENT ON ACCESSIBILITY:
We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines . If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site